Please send me your suggestions for a food stop – especially your favorite donuts made from scratch by your friend’s aunt at that 100-year-old hard-to-find bakery.
Restaurants We Recommend*
- Lynn’s Quality Oysters, Eastpoint, FL – fresh oysters, cold beer, great vibe
- Green Mesquite BBQ, Austin – great wings and meat, yummy pie, good specials
- Lombardi’s BBQ, Petaluma, CA – delicious grilled chicken, reasonable prices, short drive to KOA
- Della Fattoria, Petaluma, CA – great biscuits, wonderful pastries, good coffee, pricey
- Sparky’s, Hatch, NM – the best cheeseburger I’ve ever tried, but no beer
- Snooze, Centennial, CO (chain) – incredible benedict variations, so good
- Fat Patties, Beaufort, SC – yummy burgers!
- King Sushi, Myrtle Beach – all-you-can-eat sit down japanese restaurant, great combination of price/food/cleanliness/service, reasonable (not really cheap) prices for kids and adults, hibachi meats, very good nigiri/roll sushi, only order what you’ll eat or you’ll pay extra
- Eat First, Washington DC Chinatown – good prices, good location, good food, love the lazy susan table
CoCo Donuts, Portland, OR
SloDoCo, San Luis Obispo, CA
Donut Bar, San Diego
Red Rock Donuts, Red Rock, TX
Cafe du Monde, New Orleans
Tato-Nut Donut Shop, Ocean Springs, MS
Baker’s Pride Bakery, Savannah, GA
Rise, Raleigh, NC
Beiler’s Donuts, Philadelphia
Daily Donut, Williamsburg, VA
Dosie Dough, Lititz, PA
Peter Pan Donut & Pastry Shop, Brooklyn
Dominique Ansel Bakery, NYC
Union Square Donuts, Somerville, MA
*We like good food. We like establishments that work to serve customers something special.
My big leap before this RV expedition was starting a donut business in Moscow, Idaho. After making hot mini donuts with unique sugar flavors for Moscow Farmers Market customers for four years, I opened a little shop and started making full size yeast and potato donuts.
In 2013 I was invited to compete on the Cooking Channel’s Donut Showdown.